Sometimes reinstalling Ubuntu is way to go for fixing some graphics or other system related software problems for example after upgrade or graphics driver messed up , just do a reinstall it will be fixed . Re-installation process is easy let just follow these simple instructions to Reinstall Ubuntu without any losing data
Reinstalling won’t overwrite your settings , but still you have to reinstall any downloaded apps .
Warning : Before doing anything please take backup of data into external hard drive or any external storage .
- Live USB
- 20-40 Minutes time
That’s all you are going to need during this process .
- Insert Live CD/USB and run the Ubuntu installer
- Choose language and click next
On ” Installation Type ” window Choose Re-Install Ubuntu
- Choose “Install Now “
- ENTER SAME USERNAME AS BEFORE
- AND SAME PASSWORD
to avoid any kind of conflict , it’s just convention over configuration 🙂 ,
It will take some time ( 20-25 minutes ) depending on your system and home directory size etc . wait until it finish installing then click reboot .
After Re-installation you will see that , all downloaded application are gone , you have to install them manually again , re-installation process will install some previously installed programmes . But after installing google chrome or sublime text you will see that all the bookmarks and sublime plugins are there , it will save a lot of time to configure them again & again .
Alternative ( Do it at your own Risk )
- Boot using live bootable usb
- take backup or your data ( just in case if something goes wrong )
- first try to re-install Ubuntu
- if re-installation doesn’t work
- delete all directories from ubuntu root except
/home/then install ubuntu
- While entering username and password enter username and password same as old ones
- reboot and see if it works
- If 5 steps doesn’t work then re-install completely and restore from backup